Archive for the ‘Blog’ Category
[Event Recap] Singing, Stage Crashing & More – It all Happened at Pat Kiernan’s Red Carpet Trivia Night!Friday, March 7th, 2014
Pat Kiernan red carpet trivia recap
This past week, TrivWorks had the privilege of collaborating once again with our trivia “Special Host” Pat Kiernan to produce the largest trivia night in New York City at The Bell House in Brooklyn – an appropriately-themed Pat Kiernan’s Red Carpet Trivia Night!
Celebrating pop culture’s greatest award winners, a full house of trivia junkies were treated to a high-energy team trivia contest, putting their collective knowledge to use for such full-room such as “Oscar-Winning Performances,” “Memorable Awards Show Moments,” a music round identifying Grammy-winning Songs of the Year, and a round of harder “Pat’s Picks” trivia questions.
However, we had some surprises in store as well…
Upon arrival, attendees were immediately met not only with an actual red carpet, but by a squad of “paparazzi” with flashbulbs popping:
After our audience grabbed some beer and pie from our friends Daly Pie who were in attendance, Pat Kiernan took the stage and kicked things off right, singing a rousing musical opening number, “Apologies to Pharrell” – and dressed the part as well:
In between rounds, Pat invited pairs of lucky attendees by raffle to join him onstage for 1-on-1 trivia, featuring categories such as “Grammy-Winning Song Lyrics,” “Award-Winning TV Shows,” “Musical Theater” and “Lesser Awards & Recognitions.” Winners were invited to spin the prize wheel, and received the official TrivWorks lip balm and an engraved trophy – but not before giving an obligatory acceptance speech:
Unfortunately, not all of the acceptance speeches went smoothly:
— TrivWorks (@TrivWorks) March 6, 2014
— Michael Gluckstadt (@gluckstadt) March 6, 2014
— Natasha Simons (@natkid) March 6, 2014
Pat also tipped his hat to this past Sunday’s Academy Awards host Ellen DeGeneres:
There was other drama as well, as the infamous “Soy Bomb” guy who interrupted Bob Dylan’s 1998 Grammy performance crashed the stage once again – this time with a new message:
— TrivWorks (@TrivWorks) March 6, 2014
The night came to a thrilling conclusion when the top two teams joined Pat onstage for the ultimate high-stakes “showdown” grand finale (a full list of the team names, scores and rankings can be found here).
On behalf of TrivWorks, I would like thank Pat Kiernan for proving once again why he is not only one of NYC’s most beloved media personalities, but our favorite trivia host as well. I also would like to thank The Bell House for continuing to be our host venue for this series, our gracious and generous prize partners for this event, and everyone who was in attendance – you all made this one of the greatest nights of trivia we’ve ever seen, and we can’t wait to do it again!
Photos courtesy of Heartfelt Studio
Pharrell video filming/editing courtesy of Sid Burgos Events
What a night! The Bell House was packed to the brim with pop culture trivia all-stars for Pat Kiernan’s Red Carpet Trivia Night – congratulations team Alright Alright Alright on your win, as well as runner-up team Thank You Mayor Bloomburger!
With so many teams in attendance at what are NYC’s biggest trivia nights, Pat is unfortunately not able to announce every team’s score at the end of each round, or at the conclusion of the event – however, it was suggested after our last Bell House trivia night that everybody in attendance gets their proper credit, not just for their ranking, but for their incredibly funny & awesome team names – and we totally agree!
A more comprehensive event recap will follow, complete with photos and videos – for now, let’s hear it for all of the teams who participated in last night’s event – we’re so glad you could join us!
|Thank You Mayor Bloomburger!||53|
|Alright Alright Alright||52|
|Best Animated Shorts||51|
|Drinking on the 1′s||50|
|Do Re Egons||48|
|Pat Kiernan is the Yellow King||47|
|Show Me on the Statuette Where Woody Touched U||46|
|Wednesday Night Lights||46|
|Four Away From an EGOT||43|
|Jolly Roger Clarks!!!||43|
|Putin on the Ritz||43|
|The Wickedly Talented Adele Nazeems||41|
|Team Wu Tang is for the Children||39|
|I’m Chuck Bass||38|
|Liza Minnelli in Drag||38|
|Michael & the Pitter Pats||38|
|Shauna of the Dead||38|
|Rehearsals are for Ratners||37|
|Jordan Catalano Fan Club||36|
|The Ashless Heathens||36|
|In the Papers||34|
|We Three Queens of Brooklyn Ave…||34|
|Does the Red Carpet Match the Drapes||33|
|Katie’s Birthday Smackdown||32|
|Tonya Harding’s Revenge||32|
|2 Men & a Little Lady||31|
|Closer to Bob Hardt||26|
|Ready for Our Closeups Mr. DeMille||22|
|The Wild Oscars||22|
Pat Kiernan red carpet
Tonight, we are thrilled to return to The Bell House to produce the largest event in all of New York City: Pat Kiernan’s Red Carpet Trivia Night! Here is everything you need to know if you are attending:
FAQ’s - Including start/end times, seating, rules, team sizes etc.
Prizes - All of the theme-appropriate giveaways Pat will be handing out
Only a Few Tickets Left…
As part of TrivWorks’ “Trivia Questions For…” blog interview series, where I have the unique privilege of speaking with leading national experts to discuss a variety of topics important to our audience, I am honored to have sat down with Melinda Emerson, aka SmallBizLady.
Widely regarded as America’s #1 small business expert, SmallBizLady has devoted the past 15 years helpings small businesses such as mine develop and reach their fullest potential. Because of her specialized focus and expertise, today I am asking her about the unique challenges faced by small businesses in building strong teams:
1. For small business owners, attracting and retaining top talent is critical; however, with the economy still sluggish five years after the global financial crisis, many small businesses find competitive financial compensation for employees difficult. What are some proven, meaningful ways small businesses can say “thank you” to hard-working staff, besides money?
I think we all need to find out what each of our employee’s love language is and love on them properly. I mean if your employee craves public recognition or greater responsibility, give it to him/her. If they love long weekends, extra days off, spa days, little chocolates, Starbucks, a bigger office, or could use a personal intern give it to them. Once they’ve really proven their loyalty consider giving a non-voting ownership stake to your key employees, so they have skin in the game too. Everyone wants to feel valued and appreciated, and bonus money helps but if you don’t have that try one of these ideas. Bottom line: your employees are the most valuable thing in your business, so you better be good to them or your business will suffer.
2. In your experience, what is the one important thing employees of small businesses seek which owners/managers consistently fail to acknowledge?
Employees want to be mentored. They do not just want a task list, they want and need to grow. Be strategic about talking to them about their big picture career goals, and helping them plan their next growth opportunity, (which might not be working for you). Explain why you do certain things and when they are ready expose them to clients. Invite them to go to certain meetings with you. If you get them fully engaged in your business, they will work harder for you.
3. What should founders, owners or managers of small businesses be doing more of to encourage teamwork? What should they be doing less of?
Brainstorm with your team to solve problems. Stop doing death march staff meetings. They are the kind that point fingers and make people fearful to speak up. Don’t just sit at the head of the conference table and demand reports from the team, start with yourself so they can hold you accountable too. This will make people want to share things, even challenges they are having and not just try to out shine other employees.
4. As any entrepreneur will tell you, one of the most difficult parts about growing a business is “letting go” of key responsibilities, and instead delegating them to others. What are some tips for making this transition, which will empower the team without having “the boss” micromanaging from above?
Every business owner should keep in mind that their business can only grow as far as their hand can reach, which means you need help. Document your processes and systems so that you can let go knowing your process will become routine. Don’t just completely turn over the keys, do spot checks on things periodically to make sure your quality is not suffering in any way. This will help you focus on what you do best, which should be cultivating prospects and keeping clients.
5. You have a big promotion starting today – can you tell us about it?
In celebration of my 15th anniversary in business as America’s #1 Small Business Expert, I’m launching SmallBizlady’s 15 Days of Giveaways Contest online. Each day between March 5 – 25, 2014 I will give away one prize to take your small business to the next level. The contest will take place daily between noon-6pm EST via Twitter or my Facebook fan page www.facebook.com/smallbizlady. To sign up for the contest log in to www.succeedasyourownboss.com/15daysofgiveways
Prizes are being provided by: Sam’s Club, The UPS Store, GoDaddy, Infusionsoft, Google, Plantronics, Nextiva, Staples, Duda and ScanMyPhotos.com
Now, SmallBizLady has a trivia question to ask YOU:
Who was the first woman ever inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame?
Melinda F. Emerson, known as SmallBizLady, is America’s #1 Small Business Expert. She is an internationally known keynote speaker and an expert on small business start up, business development, and social media marketing. In addition to being a regular columnist for the New York Times, she is frequently quoted by other media organizations including The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, MSNBC and Fox News. Melinda’s small business advice is widely read reaching more than 3 million entrepreneurs each week online. She is the host of #Smallbizchat, the longest running live chat on Twitter for small business owners. Forbes magazine named her the #1 woman for entrepreneurs to follow on Twitter. She publishes a resource blog www.smallbizlady.com which is syndicated by the Huffington Post. Melinda is the bestselling author of Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months and the ebook How To Become a Social Media Ninja. Melinda is the founder and president of the Quintessence Group, an award-winning marketing consulting firm based in Philadelphia, PA. Notable Clients Include: Google, American Express, Dell, Staples, Sam’s Club, Chase, FedEx, Verizon, Wells Fargo, and Xerox.
This Wednesday, March 5th, Pat Kiernan – NY1 morning news anchor, WABC radio host and NYC’s favorite trivia host – returns to The Bell House in Brooklyn for his first mega pop culture trivia night of 2014: Pat Kiernan’s Red Carpet Trivia Night! Right on the heels of the Oscars, an expected sellout audience of 300 will partake in another raucous, high-energy team trivia contest celebrating pop culture’s greatest award winners, for the chance to take home some incredible theme-appropriate prizes – and today, we are delighted to announce what’s up for grabs!
- TCM Classic Films Tour – Our friends On Location Tours, NYC’s premier TV/film location tour company, invites you to enjoy a one-of-a-kind sightseeing tour of New York City! Produced in collaboration with Turner Classic Movies, take a behind-the-scenes look at some of your favorite award-winning classic films set in the Big Apple, as your guide entertains, informs and quizzes you with trivia questions while showcasing over 60 filming locations!
- NEW PRIZE! Museum of the Moving Image – We are thrilled to announce that NYC’s premier media museum will be providing one lucky attendee with a year-long membership, offering not only unlimited access to the celebrated institution and its regular screenings, but discounts on special events as well – such a perfect prize for this event!
- 92Y Soul Jazz Festival - Spend 2 nights enjoying the very best soul jazz-modern music – including a night of new music performed by 3-time Grammy winner Esperanza Spalding!
- A Conversation with Tracy Morgan - Spend an evening with award-winning comedian/actor/author Tracy Morgan, star of Emmy-winning TV shows “30 Rock” and “Saturday Night Live” for a no-holds-barred conversation on his life and career!
- ‘Mothers and Sons’ On Broadway – Starring Tony and six-time Emmy winner Tyne Daly, this timely and provocative new Broadway show set in New York City explores our evolving understanding of family in today’s world
- ‘The Chocolate Show!’ Off-Broadway - This new family-friendly musical show has received rave reviews, and is sure to delight one of our lucky trivia night attendees!
- ‘Murder for Two’ Off-Broadway - Another laugh-filled show, this musical murder mystery features a unique twist: one actor investigates the crime, the other plays ALL of the suspects, and they BOTH play the piano!
- VH1 Save The Music VIP Gift Bag – Later this month, TrivWorks and Pat Kiernan are collaborating with VH1 Save The Music Foundation to promote music education in public schools via VH1 STM’s Third Annual Family Day in NYC, and like the much-celebrated Oscars gift bags given out to award nominees, we will be awarding one lucky trivia night contestant with a prize-filled bag like the ones handed out to Family Day VIP ticket buyers!
- Daly Pie - In addition to selling their wonderful hand pies onsite, our great friends Daly Pie have once again donated a full-size, freshly-baked pie as a prize!
Plus much, much more to be given out throughout the event! It’s going to be another amazing night in Brooklyn, we look forward to seeing you there!
Pat’s Trivia Night WILL Sell Out in Advance…
Questions about this event? Here’s a handy FAQ!